Saturday, May 14, 2011

Exit Plan: Do you have one?

Copyright Notice: If you are not reading this at All Education Matters, and unless I've explicitly given an individual or entity permission to publish my work, this post has been illegally appropriated. Please read original content here.

I have launched a new series about living abroad on AEM, and will have a piece published again in USAToday on that subject next week. (Incidentally, if you are interested in reading more policy-related work by me, USAToday recently published an article I wrote about the ways in which the U.S. Government could ease the burden of student loan debt. I am also working more behind the scenes to try and influence legislation that will bring relief to student loan debtors, and I look forward to my forthcoming trip to D.C. to talk to policymakers about the indentured educated class). As for the pieces about living abroad, the series will highlight individuals who have decided to leave the country for more opportunities abroad. These pieces are intended to help struggling Americans, with high levels of debt and various degrees, realize that they too can find fulfilling opportunities outside of the United States. If you would like to share your story about living abroad, or if you are thinking about leaving the country, please do not hesitate to reach out to me (ccrynjohannsen@gmail.com).

So, with that in mind, do you have an exit plan? (And I'm not talking about suicide). What if things continue to worsen in the U.S., what is your plan B or plan C or plan D  or . . .  ? I have my own plans, and am glad that I'm more flexible about where I live. Indeed, I go where the work is. However, that does not mean that I simply settle. In fact, I am tired of settling, and I am sure many of you feel that way as well. My increased flexibility came from a difficult, yet exciting, decision to leave the country for Korea in 2010.

Tell me, what are your exit plans, and how are your organizing your life to get where you want to be? Is it leaving the country? Is it moving back in with family? I want to know!



Related Links

"Living Abroad in China," AEM, May 8, 2011

"Living Abroad: Returning to Korea," AEM, May 4, 2011

"Living Abroad," AEM, May 3, 2011

"Random Thoughts on Plagiarism," AEM, May 11, 2011




© 2009-2011 C. Cryn Johannsen. Simple template. Powered by Blogger.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I own a place in a foreign country with savings going to a foreign bank without US branches. I ALWAYS have enough to leave on the next flight. Safe enough?

Cryn Johannsen said...

Why do you always have enough money for a flight out of here? I'm curious. Thanks for your comment.

Unknown said...

We honestly have no backup plan and to be honest...that worries me...we don't have the $ to flee right now anyway. But I agree...our generation is literally screwed!!

Anonymous said...

I am going back to school on a scholarship for a 2-year technical degree in the power industry. While I would love to go for a teaching degree, I don't see much security in it anymore. Plus, with my loan in default it's extremely difficult to get financial aid. I was fortunate there were no stipulations against defaulters in my scholarship. There are a lot of power plants and other industries within reasonable distance of my home that I hope to be employed by upon graduation next year. I plan to live at home, as I do now, and pay down as much as I possibly can. Given the projected income for my degree program, I hope to wipe the damn thing out after five years. Does it suck to plan to live at home for that long...Yes! However, the alternative is living on my own with so many of my own bills that I will never get the stupid loan paid off. So I'll stay home and hopefully by the time I am 45, I'll be free to do whatever I want with my money. One thing is for sure though...I will never take a loan out for anything I cannot pay cash for ever again. That monkey just isn't worth it!!!

GreinenRain said...

Already made my exit...and while it doesn't get me out of my loans (I still pay them) The exchange rate has made it "feel" easier...I still don't make a whole lot of money so I still use IBR for my federal loans....but I work part time and will have time to raise my own children...this means more to me than being in the U.S. -Diana

Nando said...

My exit plan is to run off with Lauren Graham - and Cryn - to a troical paradise. Actually, I plan on paying off my loans an staying in this country. In the meantime, I will continue to beat the living piss out of the law $chool$ and the "higher education" industry.

Cryn Johannsen said...

Nando - does Lauren Graham know that I'll be joining the two of you? :)