Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The Loop 21: Is Gen Y Really Happy About Living With Mom and Dad?

Here's a snippet from my latest piece over at the Loop. It seems that young people who find themselves living at home, unable to buy homes, and so forth are perfectly fine with that. Who would've known?!? Because the thousands of young folks (and I've talked to older ones too) are definitely unhappy with living at home.
 
A recent Pew Research survey entitled, “The Boomerang Generation: Feeling OK Living with Mom and Dad,” claims that young adults in the U.S. between the ages of 24 – 34 are “satisfied with their living arrangements and upbeat about their future finances.” About 2,000 young adults across the United States were interviewed by telephone.

When asked if the survey reflected his attitude about living at home, Denzel D. Burnside III, 29, of Miami, Florida, strongly disagreed.

“I mean, it’s not like I hate my family, but when you do everything that is expected of you, and then you run into snags. . . I want my own home, I want a good career,” he said in a telephone interview.
 Read what the entire piece, and see what else Burnside said about what it's like living at home, here.
 
 

No comments: