Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Living Abroad As A Student Debtor

I have written several pieces in the past about what it is like for people with student loan debt to live and work abroad. (Some of the folks I interviewed had no debt, because living abroad allowed them to pay off their debt or they chose to go to graduate school outside of the U.S.)

I can assure you that living outside of this country is more than just rewarding - it provides you with a new sense of freedom. I myself lived in S. Korea for a year, and it was phenomenal. I felt like a human being again with freedom. It was a far cry from life as a debtor in this country, where at every turn you are being robbed by fees, high interest rates, over-priced living quarters, etc. I will share how much my living expenses were, something that still makes me gasp when I compare it to the cost of living here.

In the next coming weeks, I'll be writing about what life can be like abroad, and I'll draw from my own experiences and that of others. 

Many people have expressed an interest in hearing about this possibility, so I thought I'd share.

If you would like to chime in with your own stories of what it's like to live abroad as a student debtor, feel free to either comment on these pieces or shoot your story to me via email - ccrynjohannsen [AT] gmail [DOT] com.


No comments: