Monday, November 9, 2009

Featured Student Loan Debt Forgiveness Member - Help my friend Anna!

Anna is from the Baltimore area, and a great supporter and enthusiastic volunteer for the Forgive Student Loan Debt Movement. Here's what she had to say . . .



C: Where did you go to school, and why did you choose that institution?

A: Penn State University.  

Well, I decided to go to Penn State because they were the best school for Geoscience majors. I wanted to be a volcanologist and man do I wish I would have stuck with that. But, being severely hearing impaired and not addressing the issue until I could no longer handle the college courses on my own, I barely made it through some of my classes. After receiving assistance with my hearing, I attempted to finish school. I was determined. I ended up changing my major to Crime, Law and Justice and will finally be graduating this December with my Bachelor of Science degree. My determination to finish school definitely cost me though. I am now $140,000 in debt due to student loans.


C: What is your day-to-day life like as a result of your student loan debt?

A: It's been 2 months since I lost my job. Even with a full time job, I could only afford to pay my student loans each month at half of the regular monthly amount. Normally, it is more than $1,200 a month and that is not counting some of the recent federal loans I received in my final year of school. Now that I'm unemployed, I have to apply for forbearance. Since most of my student loans are private student loans, I can only defer my payments for up to one year. American Education Services has been calling me several times a day since I couldn't make my last payment. They've been calling my parents at their home and my Dad at work as well. Hopefully, they will approve my forbearance request and I will be payment free for 6 months. Of course, while my loans accumulate in its high interests.

C: Do you regret going to school?

A: It's hard to say. My student loan debt is depressing and highly stressful. I am extremely proud that I was able to overcome my obstacles with my hearing impairment and not to mention anxiety disorder that went along with it to earn a college degree. But, is being enslaved to $140,000 in student loan debt for the rest of my life worth it? I have friends from high school that did not attend college and are making more money than me and are way better off.

C: What do you have to offer an organization, and why should they hire you?

A: I used to be an autopsy assistant. C'mon who wouldn't want me on their team? =D Other than that I'm a super quick learner and highly adaptable to change. In previous positions, I had no clue about the field before I started. Within a week, I knew what I was doing and even assisting co-workers who've been there longer than me. Having somewhat of a photographic memory and meticulous attention to detail helps too. I'm trying to get my foot in the door in the criminal justice/forensic field in the Baltimore metro area. I've applied for positions as crime scene techs and forensic lab assistants and although I qualify, I just haven't been able to land anything yet. It seems if you don't know someone, your degree and experience are worthless.

C:  If you could meet with President Obama, what would you tell him about your current situation and your student loan debts?


A: Mr. President, I have over 235,000 friends in the Forgive Student Loan Debt Movement that need to have their student loan debt completely forgiven so that we may stimulate the economy. And instead of forcing our taxpayers to foot the bill, the predatory and evil student lenders should pay for it! Kay . . . Thanks . . .Bye!


Thank you, Anna, for answering my questions!


If you would like to be featured on my blog, please email me here.  




 

2 comments:

HenryT said...

As a father who shielded his kids from the hardships of financial debt before they get a firm footing in society I can understand young adults of todays problem with financial school loans, With that said I find myself today wishing I did not take on the burdens of school loans. My reasons are simple. Trying to do the right thing for my two daughters and being becoming disabled and unemployed for the last eight years, I find myself in a financial bind with Student Parent Plus Loans. I wish my loans could be forgiven to help mine and my wife's present predicament.
Henry Teja
Massapequa Park, NY

HenryT said...

As a father who shielded his kids from the hardships of financial debt before they get a firm footing in society I can understand young adults of todays problem with financial school loans, With that said I find myself today wishing I did not take on the burdens of school loans. My reasons are simple. Trying to do the right thing for my two daughters and being becoming disabled and unemployed for the last eight years, I find myself in a financial bind with Student Parent Plus Loans. I wish my loans could be forgiven to help mine and my wife's present predicament.
Henry Teja
Massapequa Park, NY

November 10, 2009 6:53 AM