Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Flexible Boundaries of Interpretation, Power, and Public Discourse: Readers Respond To Michel Martin's Note To Me

Michel Martin recently told me why things went so poorly on her show a few weeks ago (you can read her response here). Many of your were not pleased by her tone and the things she mentioned in that follow-up note.

Let's hear what you had to say:

"I'm not extremely familiar with Ms. Martin's work but this episode would make me hesitant to speak to her on air. I am glad she took the time to send you a cordial explanation, but the poor research on the part of her staff is amazing. Also I find her pointed "dealing with it internally" remarks and her subtle hints that perhaps you are not an expert in your field a bit off-putting. A true leader would take responsibility for what happens on her watch. Just my thoughts. Keep trying Cryn." - Anonymous

"Ms. Martin seemed to think that because you are current in your student loans that there is no problem. Did she stop to think that perhaps you can keep current because you had to leave the country in order to make that happen? Sounds kind ...of like a huge problem to me. There was also an implied slam about your husband paying the bills as if you neither have the capacity nor will to do anything but lie on the couch eating bon bons. Did they do any research on you at all? BTW there is nothing wrong with one partner handling the bills in a marriage. I pay all the bills in ours because my partner is disinclined to deal with the paperwork and busy. I don't mind either way. I don't think I will ever tune in to her again." - Barbara Heredia 


"So, wait . . . she spent the interview confronting you about your personal responsibility for the student loan issues, then BLAMED HER STAFF for the miscommunication? I definitely want to cut her the break she wouldn't give to you at the time, but it is a little funny." -Liz

"NPR should give you another interview. That is, if NPR cares anything about human rights issues, and the growing number of lifetime Student Debtors. I believe that the largest Student Loan debts come from the law grads who cannot find work, and are now being doubly punished by the banks." -Anonymous







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would like to point out that the Alan Collinge website--- has many student Loan "Horror" stories that people can read.

http://www.studentloanjustice.org/victims.htm